Receiving expert advice can change the trajectory and overall success of your career. Last week I had the pleasure of coaching a powerful group of professional women at Universal Music. During our time together, they shared the best pieces of business advice they have ever received. What is your best piece of business advice?
21 Best Pieces of Business Advice
- You should not have to be told “good job” to do your job. You were hired and are getting paid to do a “good job.”
- Your reputation enters a room long before you physically do. Make sure it is something you are proud of.
- Publicize your own work. No one is going to do it for you.
- Speak for yourself. You are your own best advocate. No one can speak about you better than you can.
- Don’t compromise your values for any job or any person. If you feel like you need to, it won’t be a good fit.
- You haven’t met your best self yet. Never stop growing.
- If it has your name on it, be prepared to stand behind it.
- Always leave a meeting with another connection in place.
- When you talk make it meaningful. People will take you more seriously.
- Learn how to be a salesman. Even if you aren’t selling a product, you are always selling your ideas.
- If people gossip with you, they will gossip about you.
- Never feel too comfortable. If you are, it should be a clue that you aren’t trying your best.
- Never present a problem without offering a solution.
- Everyone is replaceable.
- People can take everything from you but your knowledge. If you continue to learn and grow, you will always have something to fuel yourself with.
- It’s good to put yourself in situations where are you uncomfortable. The more often you are uncomfortable, the more often you will build confidence in yourself and have the opportunity to grow.
- You may know a lot but not actually get anywhere. It doesn’t matter how much you learn if you don’t take those lessons and implement them.
- Say what you mean and mean what you say. Authenticity and integrity are key in the workplace and personally.
- Your title doesn’t matter. If people are following you, you are a leader.
- Don’t plan every move. If you do, you will be disappointed and you will miss out on what opportunities authentically come up in your life. Don’t miss opportunities because you have a one-track mind.
- Business is about relationships. Build them, don’t burn them.
If you are interested in business coaching for your organization or on an individual or group basis, please contact me. I work with groups and executives from Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles, Universal Music, University of Southern California, and more. I am a frequent conference speaker and would be happy to build a platform that offers timely topics and relevant tools, all while engaging the audience.
If you are interested in individualized personal or business coaching, please schedule a complimentary 30-minute discovery session.